Workshop 12 has partnered with Shapeways.com to provide 3D printing services for Brainiac plastics. Shapeways provides great customer service and quality printed products at a very competitive price. While Workshop 12 has designed the Brainiac plastics Shapeways takes over the production and shipping by creating orders in the Shapeways Workshop 12 storefront.
What do I need to get started?
The Brainiac custom fit plastics for the 02-05 Nissan 350Z have been designed to securely hold a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1″ tablet in your dashboard creating a sleek factory integrated look. The starting point is to acquire one of these tablets if you do not already have one, which can typically found on eBay or Amazon at a reasonable price.
What do I order from Shapeways?
The 350Z solution consists of two separate pieces of plastics which need to each be added to your shopping cart on Shapeways.com. These two pieces create a “sandwich” like configuration on the central “waterfall” of the 350Z dashboard.
How do I install the Brainiac plastics in my dashboard?
We’ve pulled together a video to show the step-by-step process of installing the Brainiac plastics into your 350Z which is no more difficult than performing a aftermarket stereo installation. You can also find some generic aftermarket stereo installation instructions from Crutchfield.
How do I wire my tablet into my car’s electronics?
We’ve also posted some content on how to configure your tablet’s power settings to best suit an in-car installation. A detailed blog post has also been supplied to give you a nice wiring diagram for reference. Your general requirements will be:
- 1 X Aftermarket stereo wiring harness specific for your vehicle
- 1 X Amplifier to run your door speakers (something like this one fits in tight spaces)
- 1 X Jtron 12V to 5V DC-DC Voltage Power Adaptor for USB (connect to stereo wiring harness)
- 1 X Micro-USB OTG cable (On The Go). This allows you to both charge and use USB accessories.
- 1 X Standard 3.5mm male headphone to male RCA cable
- 1 X (Optionally) a 3.5mm Stereo Isolation Transformer (will remove any “hum” or “noise” that is present coming out of the headphone jack)
Unboxing Your Plastics