Workshop 12 has partnered with Shapeways.com to provide 3D printing services for Brainiac plastics. Shapeways provides great customer service and quality printed products at a very competitive price. While Workshop 12 has designed the Brainiac plastics Shapeways takes over the production and shipping by creating orders in the Shapeways Workshop 12 storefront.
What do I need to get started?
The Brainiac custom fit plastics for the 05-07 Subaru WRX/STI have been designed to securely hold a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1″ tablet in your dashboard creating a sleek factory integrated look. The starting point is to acquire one of these tablets if you do not already have one, which can typically found on eBay or Amazon at a reasonable price. The WRX/STI plastics also require an 05-07 OEM STI aluminium shifter ring which snaps right into place.
What do I order from Shapeways?
The WRX/STI solution consists of three separate pieces of plastics which need to each be added to your shopping cart on Shapeways.com. These pieces provide a top front plate, rear tablet holder and bottom shift trim to snap securely into your WRX/STI dashboard.
How do I install the Brainiac plastics in my dashboard?
We’ll be pulling together a video to show the step-by-step process of installing the Brainiac plastics into your WRX/STI which is no more difficult than performing a aftermarket stereo installation. For now you can check out the video below by Bradley Shelly on how to do a stereo removal and re-install in a 2005 WRX/STI.
NOTE: We currently don’t have a solution for Climate Control for the 05-07 WRX/STI (hopefully we’ll have a solution sometime in the future) so for now you’ll simply have to disconnect your existing climate controls and enjoy the breeze from your windows or relocate your controls to the glove box 🙂
How do I wire my tablet into my car’s electronics?
We’ve also posted some content on how to configure your tablet’s power settings to best suit an in-car installation. A detailed blog post has also been supplied to give you a nice wiring diagram for reference. Your general requirements will be:
- 1 X Aftermarket stereo wiring harness specific for your vehicle
- 1 X Amplifier to run your door speakers (something like this one fits in tight spaces)
- 1 X Jtron 12V to 5V DC-DC Voltage Power Adaptor for USB (connect to stereo wiring harness)
- 1 X 90 degree micro-USB OTG cable (On The Go). This allows you to both charge and use USB accessories. The 90 degree allows you to fit the connector in the available space.
- 1 X Standard 3.5mm male headphone to male RCA cable
- 1 X (Optionally) a 3.5mm Stereo Isolation Transformer (will remove any “hum” or “noise” that is present coming out of the headphone jack)
Unboxing Your Plastics